Thursday 20 November 2014

In the state of california, when I get married will I have to pay child support for my husbands previous children

Question

In the state of california, when I get married will I have to pay child support for my husbands previous children



Answer

Well indirectly yes, in that you will have a community property interest in your husband's earnings and he will have to pay child support out of them. But unless he fails to pay what he is ordered to pay, and they seize joint bank accounts or joint tax refunds, your personal earnings will never have to go to pay the support. Also, your income will be included in the calculations of his support, but only to the extent they affect the taxes on his income, because married people's income is taxed together and so the amounts on each spouse are different than if they were single. Your income will not be included in the income available for support part of the calculations.



Answer

There is actually a statute in this state that allows you to place your earnings in an account in which your husband has no withdrawal rights that will be exempt from levy.



No comments:

Post a Comment