Saturday 18 January 2014

Hello, I've been in this country for over 20 but have never tried to fix my papers. My sister just turned 21 and was born in California and ...

Question

Hello, I've been in this country for over 20 but have never tried to fix my papers. My sister just turned 21 and was born in California and wants to help me with my status. Is this possible? And if yes how long is the process?



Answer

Your sister could file an I-30 petition on your behalf.

However, not only would it take years for your priority date to become current, but if you are not in legal status, you would have to apply for your immigrant visa outside the country & would not be able to re-enter the United States for 10 years.

Therefore, unless there is a change in the immigration laws, I would not recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment