Thursday 18 September 2014

I hired a lawyer to fight my x husband for not paying alimony, the case was won on my behalf but my x refused to pay anything. The lawyer sa...

Question

I hired a lawyer to fight my x husband for not paying alimony, the case was won on my behalf but my x refused to pay anything. The lawyer said he could pursue the matter but it would cost at least another $3500.00. I can not afford to pay any more and told him I would not pursue the matter and could not afford him any longer. I thought the matter was done and over, and just at a month later I received a bill from him for Preparing a Notice of withdrawal of Attorney of record and I'm guessing to mail a copy of said letter to me at a cost of $162.50. Am I to understand that I'm being billed for Him telling me, That I told him I do not need his service any longer?? Is this legal???



Answer

That sounds a bit steep for preparing a simple notice of withdrawal of attorney of record. He can bill you for that service, but that does sound really high, as it is a one page form that can be filled out by his paralegal or legal secretary in about 6 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment