Sunday 20 July 2014

I was originally charged with a misdemeanor criminal mischief for punching a glass out of anger at a motel i stayed in. I did not harm or hu...

Question

I was originally charged with a misdemeanor criminal mischief for punching a glass out of anger at a motel i stayed in. I did not harm or hurt anyone but myself ( i split my hand in several places from the glass). I never intended to hurt anyone either. The State's Attorney has now enhanced my criminal mischief charge to (2) additional charges of Burglary and assault.

Without knowing much about the law, i paid the motel owner $300 (at his demand) to resolve this matter and now it has enhanced from misdemeanor to felony. In addition, i am scheduled for trial (facing imprisonment) on 2-23-15.

Can you please give me some advise in this matter or your professional view in this situation. Personally, i feel its unlawful.



Answer

Paying the owner will only help in restitution, it doesn't matter if you can be criminally prosecuted. The other charges sound like it involved a third party as well. Since, this can get very bad for you, I suggest you hire an attorney and see them in person so that you can get a proper professional view of your case.



No comments:

Post a Comment