Sunday 27 July 2014

I want to find out if it's legal for my trash service to charge me an added fee for not paying my bill online.I don't have a computer and th...

Question

I want to find out if it's legal for my trash service to charge me an added fee for not paying my bill online.I don't have a computer and the last thing i want is the trash company to have acess to my bank account. they always sent a paper statement and now they want to charge for it. it seems a little discriminatory towards people that don't have a computer.



Answer

If you trash service is provided by the City either by contract or city-operated, they would have had to seek local government approval for such a surcharge. If that is the case then yes, it is legal. If you are dealing with a private company who handles your trash service. They are also allowed to add such a charge. You however, are free to change to a company that does not (assuming their all alternatives that service your area).

Good luck,

Bryan Becker

Becker Attorneys

La Jolla, CA

877-201-8728



No comments:

Post a Comment