Tuesday 27 January 2015

Family Law Attorney NeededI am currently in the process of arguing a parenting plan in court. I am asking the courts to keep the children f...

Question

Family Law Attorney Needed

I am currently in the process of arguing a parenting plan in court. I am asking the courts to keep the children from their father until he meets certain requirements I outlined in my parenting plan (he has an on-going extensive criminal record). My case is in Kitsap County. I need advice & a bit of help to get this right.



Answer

Re: Family Law Attorney Needed

Chances are the best advice I can give you is to get a lawyer.

Just as you would not do your own surgery, you are risking a lot by representing yourself in court.

Courts are loathe to keep children away from their parents, and deeply suspicious of parents who want the court to do that.

Be prepared to show more than a crimial record. There are plenty of people who are criminals but their crimes have nothing to do with their parenting skills.

If his crimes involved the children, e.g. he assaulted them, that's different. If there are drugs involved, you may well have a point that the Court will use as a basis for restrictions.

But otherwise, I'd be prepared for an uphill battle.

Hope this helps. Powell



No comments:

Post a Comment